Cuffy's no more!






I am originally from Marshfield, MA. I have been a Cuffy's fan since someone gifted my oldest with a sweatshirt when they were 5 months old. That was 24 years ago. Every summer since then, my family and I have stayed in S. Yarmouth with my mother and her husband (who are Cape Cod residents) and shopped at Cuffy's for sweatshirts, shorts, and tees.


Yesterday I returned the Cape Cod long sleeve t-shirt in the attached photo. Though I liked the colorful print on the map of Cape Cod, something about it disturbed me.


When I returned to where I was staying, I remembered that it is a Madras pattern and looked it up on the internet. I associate the plaid with New England and preppy clothing. I also remembered that Madras is a city in India and wondered what the connection is. I found the following article from Heddels to be quite enlightening, albeit with no sense of irony as they recommend several places to purchase Madras clothing.

https://www.heddels.com/2018/05/history-madras-fabric/


To have this print over the map of Cape Cod is to commit yet another imperialistic crime against those whose land was stolen 400 years ago. Not to mention the audacity of claiming Cape Cod was "established" rather than colonized in 1602.





Would you consider printing a shirt that acknowledges those who originally occupied this land, the Nauset and Wampanoag peoples, as a way of educating those who enjoy coming to Cape Cod each summer? I know I would happily purchase one, especially if a portion of the proceeds benefited Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe interests.



https://native-land.ca/



Until then, I will no longer buy clothing from Cuffy's, and I will discourage others from doing so to the utmost of my ability.


Sincerely,

Cynthia Robinson


P.S.  AND it was made in Pakistan, which was formerly part of India!

I would also buy your clothing (and be willing to pay more) if it was made in the U.S. 


Comments

Popular Posts