Lost and found

 
A towel laid on a kitchen counter with about five dozen shells on it, mostly scallops of varying sizes and hues (blues, grays, calico, cream, brown, one gorgeous large orange/peach one), two incomplete large whelks, a couple of shark eye shells, some small white scallop shells, and a few of what I call slipper shells because when you turn them over, they look like bed slippers.



I can hardly walk a beach
without looking down
colors 
textures
treasures
as light and water play
over
under
rattling shells and rocks
like teeth chattering
ice cubes tumbling
dice rolling
maybe I'll get lucky
this time a shark eye
moon snail
scallop
whelk
I dropped one 
while picking up another
then retraced my steps
to find it again
Doesn't matter where I am
New Zealand
Kauai
Lewes
Cape Cod
I look as if I've
lost something
don't have enough
ah but the joy that comes
when attention has been given

I look down
for the same reasons
others look up
wonder
beauty
delight
a whole other world
hope
and hope once more

Comments

Popular Posts