Last day

Japanese Maple



Yesterday afternoon I spent some time outside taking the dead limbs and twigs off of our Japanese maple tree.  I had been wanting to do this for some time but I have been reluctant because I was afraid of damaging the tree.  I thought I would do it during the winter when it was dormant but on the days I had time it would be too cold.  Then I went on a road trip for six and a half weeks.  By the time I returned the tree was beginning to bud.  But David reassured me that the tree would be fine.  Now it would be able to put more energy into the limbs that were budding.


I moved around the tree clockwise, removing the dead branches with my bare hands, appreciating the satisfying crunch as the dross came away easily.  As I reached in to grab a handful of twigs, my forearms were scratched as though a stray cat had gotten the better of me.  I made piles of dry twigs and limbs on the grass as I went around the tree.  In my right hand I held at the ready a pair of lopping shears to break off the larger branches.  To get at the branches under the canopy I had to stand underneath the tree; I'm 5'2'' so it was a close fit.


As I stood beneath the tree, looking up at both the greening limbs and the dead, dry, gray ones, I realized that this was a perfect spiritual exercise and metaphor for my last day of sabbatical: in a time of transition between dormancy and rebirth, to trim away what is not needed so that life may flourish, energy may flow.  We all need to do this from time to time, to step back from our lives, rest, reflect, contemplate what we could do without, what is not serving us or the world, and then let it go, pick up the pieces, clean up the mess, put things in their proper place.


But only you can decide when to do this, in your own time, in your own way, when you are ready.  And by all means, ask for help.  I'm here if you need me.  None of us gets through this life alone no matter how strong we are.


I am so very thankful for this time of sabbath, that I work with a congregation that values sabbatical, all that it can entail, folks who give me the freedom to choose how I will spend it.


Someone asked me if I am renewed, rested, re-energized, ready for more. I don't know about that; it feels like there will never be enough sleep for the world we live in now. I hope that I am a bit wiser, that I will take more time to think, to contemplate, to consider my emotions, my limits, my dreams, and to nurture my hopes daily.  Take time to cry when needed.  Read more.  Walk more.  See and do art more.  Play my Native American wood flutes more.  And slow the heck down.  Maybe when I do these things more, I'll be ready for more.


One day at a time, folks.  It's all we really have.


Peace be with you.

Comments

  1. I love taking the dead limbs out of our Japanese Maple. So satifying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts